Ladies stop the press!!! This little masterpiece has taken me literally 2 hours, yes 120 minutes, to make.
As i did not have any chunky/bulky wool, i used what Lion Brand suggested for yarn substitutions. I used 2 thread of double knitting wool and it came out exactly 11 sts/4 inches.
Here is the link to it: http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/16.html?language=
This was an experiment for me as i have not done a baby garment in chunky. It is an easy knit if you like knitting with BIG needles.
I have made some “make up” changes to the pattern as i did not like some of the instructions that was given – but thats just my preference..
. My changes to the pattern are as follows :
- The pattern states 1 button but you actually make 3 button holes according to the pattern.
- Row 6: I would not do a buttonhole here so instead of doing “P2tog, YO, k1″ i would do k1, p1, k1
- Row 10 and 14: I would not do “p2tog” but k2tog at the beginning of the row
- Row 15: I use the smaller needle to cast off and then the last stitch before the next marker, i transfer back to the right needle and knit it again as this closes the gap for me. Again my preference.
- Row 16 – 17: I repeated these 2 rows until i ad 27 rows done on my row counter. I looked at the picture and counted 12 eyelets that was done before the hem so i did the same.
I have tried it on bigger needles as the designer said but to me its still same size.
So maybe big needle knitting is not my thing…
I would try this pattern again at a later stage
I am guessing you want the link to the pattern as well 🙂
NOTE : Pattern calls for 1 button on list of materials needs, but you actually make 3 button holes. So i used the first and last buttonholes, hence 2 buttons.
I am hoping the designer will consider upsizing it for me as babies here in South Africa are not small.( Designer just let me know that i can go up on size needles to make it bigger)
Off to make another one!!