- Chop dates into small pieces.
- Add bicarb. to hot water and add half of the dates, stir and let cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar and add eggs one by one. Mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients and fold into butter mixture.
- Add dry dates and nuts and then the date/bicarbonate of soda mixture. Mix well.
- Scoop the mixture into two pie dishes with diameter of 22 cm (9 inches) or into one square ovenproof dish.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 40 minutes at 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F.
- Pour warm syrup carefully over tart when it comes out of the oven.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped or scald cream.
Syrup312 ml (1 1/4 cup) sugar 12.5 ml (1 tablespoon) butter 187 ml (3/4 cup) water 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla Pinch of salt 125 ml (1/2 cup) brandy
- Boil first three ingredients together for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt and brandy. Stir well.