Recipe taken from Kook en Geniet Book…..
200 ml (4/5 c) butter or margarine
375 ml (1 1/2 c) sugar
5 ml (1t) vanilla essence
625 ml (2 1/2 c) cake flour
50 ml (4 tbs) cocoa
20 ml (4 t) baking powder
2.5 ml (1/2 t) salt
200 ml (4/5 c) milk
- Stir butter with wooden spoon and gradually ad sugar. Beat until light and creamy. Add vanilla.
- Add eggs one by one and beat well after each addition.
- Sift flour, salt, cocoa and baking powder together and sift and add alternately with milk into butter mixture. Beat well until the mixture has a velvety texture. Don’t stir, but beat.
- Pour batter into two greased cake pans with wax paper cut out on the bottom (22 cm in diameter). Can also be baked in one large cake pan.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes at 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). When cake is firm on top and sides shrink away from the pan, the cake is ready to come out of the oven. However, do not open the oven during the first 20 minutes.
- Immediately turn the cake over on a cooling rack.
- For a layered cake, use any filling of your choice.