by: Diane D. Louw (Foxcroft)
On my journey through the bible, i have come accross covenants with many different names. I always thought there was just the Old and the New Covenant. No way, there are others.
- Noahic covenant, which was an unconditional covenant found in Gen. 9:1-18. A promise God made to never again flood the entire earth when we see the sign of the rainbow
- Abrahamic covenant, which was an unconditional covenant (commitment made by God to Abraham) found in Gen 12: 1-4; 13: 14-17; 15:1-7; 17: 1-8 We see that this covenant is reaffirmed by God to Isaac (Gen 26: 3-4); to Jacob (Gen 35:12)(Lev 26: 28) and to Joshua (Kidges 2:1) . Gods covenant is His will, His integrity to His promises made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and these covenants are not breakable. God will keep them even if the children of Israel are unfaithful
- Mosaic covenant, which was an unconditional covenant found in Ex 20: 1- 31:18
- Davidic covenant, covenant found in 2 Sam 7: 4-16; 1 Chron 17: 3-15
- New Covenant, found in Jer 31: 31-40 As christians we are to partake in the New Covenant as it is a gracious gift from our savour. This replaces the Mosaic Covenant which they broke Jer 31: 32